This was a really interesting video and one of the few to better get to know Daniel Gross and maybe the goals behind Pioneer and what they like which imo need to be better stated. They should share this stuff when they do it also.
Takeaway Opinions and facts (looking for others)
- Very idealistic about the emotional support / reinforcement part of the community to take projects out out of hobby Git repos and scaled. Far less people probably need this than they expect.
- Pioneer is not aimed at "normal" people which might suck for those with perfectly fine "normal" or even unsexy SaaS / service businesses that are steady going concerns. I like the cool tech projects as well but ours business wise is also fairly normal and only the ideas are pioneering.
- Agree with Calacanis that Pioneer is very unique although flawed but has potential to be far more impactful than YC as we've said before.
- ISNT for typical Stanford grad, worked at Google/FB. wears a hoodie types confirmed. That's pretty huge.
- Only 5 people, also want to get their "fund unit economics" :D right before scaling up with institutional capital. Essentially a micro fund? $1m prize is likely unrealistic and a one-off